Parks and Recreation Questions
- I am interested in a recreation program. Where can I get more information on program availability registration dates, schedules, age restrictions, fees and the time and location of the program?
Information on programs is available on our web site or you may call the Department’s office at 610-678-5399 Ext. 2.
- Who do I call to reserve a pavilion/area in a park or to gain use of a facility?
Call 610-678-5399 Ext. 2, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- I am interested in working for the Department of Recreation and Parks. How can I find out about employment opportunities?
Information on any employment opportunities within the Township is available from the Human Resources Department. Please call 610-678-5393 Ext. 1201.
- How can I find information on the Township’s parks?
Information on the Township’s parks may be found on the web site, the Department’s Program Brochure or by calling the Department at 610-678-5399 Ext. 2.
- Are there any internship or community service opportunities available within the Department?
Please contact the Department at 610-678-5399 Ext. 2 to discuss your specific situation.
- Can only Township of Spring residents join recreation programs or utilize facilities in the parks?
Our programs and facilities are available to the general public; however, non-resident fees may apply to some programs and facilities.
- How do I enroll in a program?
For your convenience you may register in the Department’s office, by phone or on-line. The Department accepts cash, checks or credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express).
- How do I start a program?
If you have a special interest, hobby or just want to share your knowledge on a subject and feel comfortable with presenting the subject matter to other individuals, you may contact the Department at 610-678-5399 Ext. 2 and ask to speak with the Recreation Program Coordinator. They will assist you in developing the program and review the procedures that are required to make the program available to the public.
- Who do I contact to report a maintenance problem at a park, playground or local open space in the Township?
Please call the Department immediately at 610-678-5399 Ext. 2.
- Who should I contact to have a sign posted or policy changed at a local park?
You may call the Department at 610-678-5399 Ext. 2 or e-mail your concern or request. The staff, the Parks and Recreation Board, and/or the Board of Supervisors will review and address your concern or request.
- My community or I would like to make an improvement at a local park site. How can I/we find out how to do so?
You or an organization may submit the project in writing to the Department, describing the purpose for the improvement and the outcome of the project. The project will then be presented to the Parks and Recreation Board for their review. The Board will determine if the project requires any modification(s) and if it is an acceptable project.
- What services are available to meet the specific needs of individuals with disabilities?
The Department will make all reasonable accommodations to a program or facility for individuals with special needs.
- What are the Township park rules and regulations for the parks?
Ordinance 163 describes all rules and regulations governing the Township’s park system and is available at the Department’s office upon request or on the web site. There are specific facility use policies for athletic facilities and pavilions. These use policies are also available at the Department’s office upon request or on the web site.
- Are there any swimming pools in the Township?
There are three swimming pools within the Township’s boundaries. Lincoln Park Swimming Pool, located off of Dorchester Avenue and Wilshire Swimming Pool, located off of St. Albans Drive. These are pools and are owned and operated by their respective association. Please contact them directly for membership dues and information. The third pool is an indoor pool which is owned and operated by the Wilson School District. Please contact the District for more information.
- What parks allow dogs?
Dogs, other than service dogs, are not permitted in any Township park with the exception of the trails at Shiloh Hills Park. Dogs are ONLY permitted on the trails at Shiloh Hills Park with the following conditions:
All dogs must be on a leash not longer than 15’ in length.
All dogs must have a current and valid license issued by the Treasurer of Berks County.
All owners and keepers shall immediately remove all dog feces deposited by such dogs in a sanitary method by collection and disposal in an appropriate trash container.
Owners and keepers transporting dogs to Shiloh Hills Park by motor vehicle shall park in the Shiloh Hills Park lot and NOT on the Shiloh Hills Elementary School lots or driveways.
Violations may include a maximum fine of $300.00 plus prosecution costs, and in default of the payment of a fine and costs, a maximum jail term of 5 days.
- Is alcohol permitted in the parks?
No; however, an individual may file an application for a variance permit for a picnic or special event. The individual filing the permit must be 21 years of age. The individual securing the variance permit will be held accountable for the guests or patrons of the event where alcohol will be served. The cost of a variance permit is $30.00 per event per day. Individuals may secure an application for a variance permit at the Department’s office.
If I have any questions about parks and recreation in the Township who or how do I contact the Department?
You may call the Department at 610-678-5399 Ext. 2 or e-mail us at email@example.com.