Fire & Rescue Services

Township of Spring Fire & Rescue Services
Official Fire & Rescue Services Website
TSFRS Coat Drive Flyer

2301 Monroe Avenue
West Lawn, PA 19609
610-898-1452 Coats for Kids

Each year hundreds of children in the Township of Spring walk to school, play outside or work in the cold weather without the protection of a coat from the cold, rain and snow. For an infinite number of reasons, these children are not afforded the warmth that a coat can provide during a cold and frigid winter.

The Township of Spring Fire Rescue Services has decided start out on a long journey to put a coat on the back of as many children as possible in the Township. We have begun a campaign to gather, through donations, as many coats as possible and outfit at many kids as possible with a basic need of a coat. We have named this campaign “Coats for Kids” and with your help, we hope to help keep these children warm during
the winter.

We are asking the citizens of the community to donate any gently-used winter coats for children 18 years and younger. We will organize the coats, have them cleaned and distribute them to the children that are in need of them from a list provided to us by the Wilson School District and the many churches in the Township. If a citizen does not have a coat to donate, we are also asking for monetary donations so that we can approach businesses to purchase coats for children.

As a business in the Township of Spring, we are asking for your help in this great endeavor. We are asking for either a monetary donation so that we can purchase coats or if you do have coats in your inventory for children 18 years or younger if you are able to donate one or more to our cause to help a child stay warm this winter. If you would like to donate to our Coats for Kids campaign, please make checks payable to: Township of Spring Firefighters Inc. We will also accept donations in the form of coats. Either way, please have the donations to us by October 24, 2015. Any questions or for information, please contact Ryan Bingaman at 610-898-1452.

We appreciate the continued support from your business and we look forward to working with you to help keep children warm with winter. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

The Township of Spring Fire Rescue Sevice Coats for Kids Committee


Exposing an Invisible Killer: The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips – Downloadable pdf

Each year in America, more than 150 people die from accidental non-fire related carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning associated with consumer products. These products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces. Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission
The Township of Spring Fire Rescue Service would like you to know that there are simple steps you can take to protect yourself from deadly carbon monoxide fumes.

Understanding the Risk

What is carbon monoxide?
CO, often called “the silent killer,” is a gas you cannot see, taste, or smell. It can be created when fossil fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, methane or wood do not burn properly.
Where does carbon monoxide come from?
CO poisoning can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers or cars left running in garages.
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, nausea and drowsiness. Exposure to undetected high levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal.

CO Alarm Installation
•  Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory. Install and maintain CO alarms
inside your home to provide early warning of carbon monoxide.
•  CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each separate sleeping area, on every level
of the home, and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best
protection, have CO alarms that are interconnected throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
•  Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height.
•  Combination smoke-CO alarms must be installed in accordance with requirements for smoke alarms.
•  CO alarms are not substitutes for smoke alarms and vice versa. Know the difference between the sound of
smoke alarms and the sound of CO alarms.
CO Alarms: Testing and Replacement
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month and replace them if they fail to respond correctly when tested.
The sensors in CO alarms have a limited life. Replace the CO alarm according to manufacturer’s
instructions or when the end-of-life signal sounds.
•  Know the difference between the sound of the CO alarm and the smoke alarm, and their low-battery
signals. If the audible low battery signal sounds, replace the batteries or replace the device. If the CO
alarm still sounds, get to a fresh air location and call 9-1-1.
•  To keep CO alarms working well, follow manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning.
CO Precautions
• Have fuel-burning heating equipment (fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, wood stoves, coal stoves,
space heaters and portable heaters) and chimneys inspected by a professional every year.
• Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace.
• Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home. The CO gas might kill people and pets.
• When purchasing new heating and cooking equipment, select products tested and labeled by a recognized
testing laboratory.
• Make sure all fuel-burning vented equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the
venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
• If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Never run a vehicle
or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a
running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice or other materials. The CO gas might kill people and pets.
• Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
• Only use barbecue grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents and other building openings. Some
grills can produce CO gas. Never use grills inside the home or the garage, even if the doors are open.
• Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, vents and other
building openings to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the home.
If Your CO Alarm Sounds
•  Immediately move to a fresh air location (outdoors or by an open window or door). Make sure everyone
inside the home is accounted for.
•  Call 9-1-1 from a fresh air location (outdoors or by an open window). Remain at a fresh air location until
emergency personnel arrive to assist you.


Portable Generator Safety

Portable generators are useful when temporary or remote electric power is needed, but they can be hazardous. The primary hazards to avoid when using them are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock or electrocution, and fire.
The Township of Spring Fire RescueService would like you to know that there are simple steps you can take to prevent the loss of life and property resulting from improper use of portable generators.
•  From 1999 to 2010, nearly 600 generator-related carbon monoxide (CO) deaths have been reported to
the CPSC.
•  CO poisoning from generator use causes an annual average of 81 deaths. The majority of the deaths
occurred as a result of using a generator inside a home’s living space, in the basement or in the garage.
•  One generator produces as much CO as hundreds of cars. CO from a generator is deadly and can
incapacitate and kill you within minutes.

To Avoid Carbon Monoxide Hazards:
•  Always use generators outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents.
•  NEVER use generators in homes, garages, basements, crawl spaces, or other enclosed or partially enclosed
areas, even with ventilation.
•  Follow manufacturer’s instructions.
•  Install battery-operated or plug-in (with battery backup) carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home,
following manufacturer’s instructions.
•  Test CO alarms often and replace batteries when needed.
To Avoid Electrical Hazards:
•  Keep the generator dry. Operate on a dry surface under an open, canopy- like structure.
• Dry your hands before touching the generator.
• Plug appliances directly into generator or use a heavy-duty outdoor- rated extension cord. Make sure the
entire extension cord is free of cuts or tears and the plug has all 3 prongs, especially a grounding pin.
NEVER plug the generator into a wall outlet. This practice, known as back feeding, can cause an
electrocution risk to utility workers and others served by the same utility transformer.
•  If necessary to connect generator to house wiring to power appliances, have a qualified electrician install
appropriate equipment. Or, your utility company may be able to install an appropriate transfer switch.

For further information, questions or assistance with resources please contact the Fire Commissioners Office at 610-678-5393 Extension 1211
Township of Spring Fire Rescue Service Website